Sunday, January 30, 2011

So full of craft: DYI Magnetic Spice Rack

Ha ha get it? Because I said craft instead of... never mind.
Sorry, I have a soft spot for bad jokes and puns. Because life wouldn't be very... PUN without 'em. (yea what now)





Anyways so I've been obsessing about magnetic spice racks for the last oh... month and a half. If you have no idea what I'm talking about see for yourself here.
Awesome right? The bad news is that it costs $39.99 (not including shipping) for a set of twelve containers. Twelve?? Seriously? If you're anything like me you have far more that 12 spices hanging out in your cupboard. So you see what I'm getting at right? In order to construct a proper rack the cost could add up quickly.

So since I'm cheap/broke and fairly convinced that I can usually do a better job myself, I set out to find away to achieve the same concept for less.

And I am happy to announce that with the help of  The Washington Post's sweet tutorial and Lee Valley Tools, which is where I bought all of my supplies (i.e. watchmakers cases and magnets) I now am the proud owner of very own magnetic spice rack and well deserved sense of accomplishment.


By the way, it only cost me $32 for 24 containers and 24 magnets. Although I will most likely add on to it, since I seriously underestimated the number of different spices and mixes that my husband and I managed to cram into one tiny cupboard haha.

2 comments:

  1. OMG I absolutely love this. I wish that I cooked more so that I could make one of these!

    -nikki johnson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, by the way it looks like you're getting low on cinnamon, clove, basil and nutmeg. Lol

    nikki johnson

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...