Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Using squash to cope with winter

Have I ever mentioned how much I love squash? No? Well I do. Especially the acorn variety. Not only are they oh so very sweet but they make for a cheap and fancy looking dinner.




How you ask? Think about it, once you slice it in half and clean out all of the "guts" you have yourself the perfect little edible bowl. It's so full of potential, what more could you ask for?



You can fill it with whatever little your heart desires. Get creative! I like to fill mine with rice, veggies, dried fruit... just about anything that I have on hand.

So the other day while stumbling (I admit I'm very addicted) I just so happened upon this little gem and I thought, hmm I bet that would be awesome in a little roasted squash bowl... it was.
Unfortunately I didn't have a few of the ingredients on hand, so my version is altered slightly.

With that said I present to you my new favorite go to recipe to beat the Minnesota winter blues!




Roasted Acorn Squash stuffed with Cranberry Pilaf    serves 6
• Preheat oven to 375

• 3 acorn squash, halved and cleaned
• salt and pepper to taste

• 1 T extra virgin olive oil
• 1 small red onion, chopped
• 1 c uncooked quinoa
• 2 c water
• 1/2 t salt
• 2/3 c dried cranberries
• 2/3 c pumpkin seeds

Place squash cut side down on baking stone or cookie sheet (if using cookie sheet spray with cooking spray first) Bake for 1 hour

When your squash has 25 minutes left to bake, heat oil in medium sized sauce pan over medium heat and add onions, cook 2 to 3 minutes. Add dried quinoa to the pan and toast for 1 minute (stirring constantly). Add the water and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Toss in dried cranberries and cook 5 to 10 minutes longer or until remaining liquid evaporates. Remove from heat

Remove Squash from the oven. Place each squash half on a plate and spoon equal amounts of pilaf into the center of each. Sprinkle with pumpkin seeds.

So good

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...