Thursday, October 27, 2011

Not Your Gramma's Bars: Indian-Spiced Rice Crispy Bars

Nothing brings a devilish grin to my face like taking a beloved American classic and turning it on it's ass! Take for instance the rice krispy bar. I don't think I could even begin to fathom the sheer number of these babies I've consumed in my youth...



The other weekend, a couple of my foodie buddies and I took a trip to Minneapolis and we stopped in to an Indian grocery store and while pursing the shelves I happened upon a bag of puffed basmati rice. No joke! I was hit with a wave of inspiration! The marshmallow bars of my youth, would soon face a vegetarian revamp. I mean lets be real, as much as you may have loved them (or still do) don't kid yourself, the flavor was really nothing to write home about... marshmallows, butter, sugar... boring...

Now I won't lie, the first time I tried to recreate this beloved treat... I failed... miserably. The flavors were almost there but I was too hasty and forgot to measure the ratio of puffed basmati to syrupy mixture was waaayy off... but I would not be defeated. The second time turned out like a dream!!! This is why it is with girlish glee, I am very proud to present you my latest creation! (and my newest addiction...)

P.S. Sometimes you just gotta get fancy,
just sayin'

Indian-Spiced Rice Crispy Bars:
  • 1c cashew butter
  • 1c honey (or agave to make them vegan)
  • 2T Earth Balance
  • 1 1/2t cinnamon
  • 1/2t ginger
  • 1/2t coriander
  • 1/2t turmeric
  • 1/2t red pepper flakes (less if you don't like spicy)
  • 1/4t cardamom
  • 1/4t gram masala
  • 1/4t salt
  • 1/8t chili powder
  • a pinch of: cloves, garlic and cumin (for good measure of course)
  • 5c puffed basmati (a.k.a murmura)
  • 1/3c each: cashews, pistachios, and golden raisins


Combine cashew butter, honey and Earth Balance in a microwave safe bowl and microwave 1 minute, until everything is nicey heated and melted (try another 30 seconds if need be). Mix in spices and stir together until smooth and syrupy.



In a large bowl toss together puffed basmati, fruit and nuts and stir in syrup mixture until evenly coated. Transfer mixture into a 9x9 pan (or any other bar-type pan you may have, I had to use half a jelly roll pan hahaha... remember, you make do with what you got)





I "frosted" some with left over cashew butter
and topped that with more fruit and nuts :)



and press and spread into pan. Place into the freezer for an hour or until stiff. cut into bars :)


Halloween is almost here! And I can't wait to dress in my best... buhahaha

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...