Thursday, August 11, 2011

Rise and Shine Like You Mean It: Moving Forward Starts with Breakfast


Hello cats and kittens, tonight I found myself with a lot of unexpected time on my hands and no idea of how I should spend it. Seeing as I've been rather lazy in regards to posting I figured I'd get my ass in gear.

Soooo... to say it's been a crazy summer is an understatement to say the least. I was let go of one job, then the next week the restaurant I was working at (which I loved) closed down. Then not even a full 2 weeks after that I sat next to my Grandmother (the very reason I began to cook) on her death bed as she took her last breath... They say unfortunate things happen in threes after all...

Feeling over stressed and overwhelmed, I realized more than I ever had in the past, the importance of a good meal.

One evening feeling drained on all ends, I dug through my cupboards just 'cause. I noticed I had a surplus of oats, grains and other assorted dried goodies (Sidenote: I tend to go over board in the bulk isle). It came to my attention that I hand't had (nor the motivation to make myself) a good breakfast in a while, and it felt time to get back on track.

I opted to toss together some muesli, something I had dabbled in a time or two before but I never got the results I wanted. I followed Veggie Num Num's recipe to a T (a rarity for me) which was delicious, but I guess just not geared to my taste buds.


Either way I decided to try again (mostly because it didn't involve the stove). I can't even begin to explain how amazing it was to simply have a good breakfast, it was like a breath of fresh air or a good morning stretch... either way it was a reminder that even though shit gets crazy, you gotta remember to take sometime out and find away to take care yourself (body and soul).

So there's my story. Sorry for being a Debbie-downer, but I feel like I had to get that off my chest.It's been two months since she passed, I still miss her terribly but I'm much more at peace with it. She made it to 93 afterall... that in and of itself is a feat.

She was an incredible woman and a legendary cook
She is my hero and my biggest inspiration.


Five Grain Citrus Muesli with Fresh Fruit & Banana Cashew Cream: (severs 2, adapted from Veggie Num Num)


For the muesli:
  • 1/2c mixed grains (I used Regular Rolled Oats, Barley Flakes, Rye Flakes, and Quinoa Flakes, Ground Flaxseeds. You can swap out any to fit your tastes or to make gluten-free. Barley Oats and rye are NOT gluten-free, See my sidenote below for some gluten-free ideas)
  • 1/2c raw trail mix (I used some I had picked up, called "Go Take A Hike")
  • 1/4c shredded unsweetened coconut
  • 2 oranges worth of fresh squeezed juice, around 1c (feel fresh to use oj from a carton)
  • cinnamon to taste (optional)

For the cashew banana cream:
  • 1/4c raw cashews 
  • 2T water
  • 1 banana
  • 2 dates

For the topping:
  • Fruit (I used banana slices and thawed frozen blueberries)
  • chopped nuts

Place grains, trail mix, shredded coconut, fresh squeezed orange juice and cinnamon (optional) in a container, cover and allow to soak overnight in the fridge (if you think you need more juice, you certainly can add some. Remember, you don't want to drown it, you just barely want enough liquid so the grains will soak it up without leaving much behind). While muesli mixture is soaking, place cashews in another container with just enough to cover them, and leave to soak overnight in the fridge as well.


In the morning, take your muesli and cashews out from the fridge, set the muesli aside. Drain the cashews and give them a good rinse. Place the drained cashews in a blender/food processor with water banana and dates and blend until smooth and creamy.


Divide, muesli and cream into two bowls and top with fruit and chopped nuts.


*Sidenote: Here are some gluten-free grain ideas: short-grain brown rice flakes, quinoa flakes, millet flakes, buckwheat, teff flakes, flax seeds.

Normally I would leave you with some music... but I'm coming to you live from the great up-north and my internet connection it slow at best haha. I'll make it up to you next time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...