Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Unbelievable and Fudgey: Black Bean Brownies (and Gluten Free To Boot!)

 
Again, I'm not big on the sweets... that being said when my sweet tooth rears it's ugly head I usually am let jonesin' for something nostalgic. Seriously I think the last time I had a brownie I was still in grade school.

I read once (a while back) that you could make brownies using black beans. I really wanted to try this because a) I needed proof that black beans could be palatable in a dessert, and b) a friend of mine who has a gluten sensitivity recently asked if I could post a few gluten free recipes.


I had never really played around with gluten free but had always wanted to try. I'm always up for a challenge!

So that's why Happy Herbivore's Low Fat Vegan Black Bean Brownies were perfect! No wheat, no eggs, no dairy, no refined sugar and just as fabulous of a brownie as I could remember!

Here's the recipe word-for-word from her website:

Low Fat Vegan Black Bean Brownies

  • 15 ounces black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 whole bananas
  • cup agave nectar
  • ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tbsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • ¼ cup raw sugar (optional)
  • ¼ cup instant oats
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease an 8x8" pan and set aside. Combine all ingredients, except oats, in a food processor or blender and blend until smooth, scrapping sides as needed. Stir in the oats and pour batter into the pan. Bake approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow to cool before slicing. Chef's Note: if you find these brownies are too soft or too fudge-y, add another 1/4 cup oats or flour.


By the way please PLEASE check out That Handsome Devil!! They just released a new album and I seriously can't get enough of it!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...