Wednesday, June 15, 2011

A Little Latin Flair: Roasted Pablano Plantain Tofu Wrap


Today I realized that I've been meat, egg and dairy-free for a little over 6 months now, and I've never felt better. My skin rarely breaks out, and it looks and feels much better than it ever has. The energy I have is a complete 180 from where it used to be. I remember always having trouble waking up in the morning, feeling exhausted by 2 or 3 in the and not being able to sleep at night. All those problems a thing of the past. Bonus for my workouts. My muscles heal faster, and if I get sick, (which is rare) it really only lasts a day or two.

Oh and my grocery bill is a fraction of what it used to be. Even going out to eat has been easy on the wallet since vegetarian and vegan dishes are usually the cheapest things on the menu. Alas eating out is still get expensive. Which brings me to my most favorite part of all, adding new twists to familiar dishes. Getting creative,  you gotta make those daily 5s interesting :)

Speaking of familiar dishes, I love me some wraps. They're so handy, so portable, and oh so very customizable :) Which you learn fast when you can't rely on turkey or chicken as your main ingredient. Yesterday I came across a list of 10 vegan lunch wrap ideas one of which was a Pablano Plantain Tofu Wrap... *drool* Plantains, spicy and tofu?? in a wrap?? Dear God, sounded waaaayyy to good for this Colombian girl not to try!

I don't know exactly how sum up my thoughts on this wrap, other than trust me the flavors work and they work incredibly. I did make a couple changes and substitutions, because lets face it, recipes are good starting points, there is always room to play around. Plus at this point do you really expect any different from me? haha

Roasted Poblano Plantain Tofu Wrap: (serves 3, recipe adapted from Healthy. Happy. Life)
  • 1T agave
  • 1T sunflower oil (I use Smude's because it's sooo good and local to boot!)
  • 1/4t cayenne (or more if you're feeling saucy)
  • 1/2t cumin
  • 1t liquid smoke
  • 1 limes worth of juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 3 - 1/2' slices of tofu
 Mix together agave through salt and pepper and pour into a ziplock back or shallow dish. Marinade tofu slices overnight.

  • 1 poblano pepper
 Pre-heat broiler. Cut the pepper in half and remove the stem and seeds. Place cut side down on a sheet of aluminum foil (large enough to fold over the pepper halves later) and broil 5-15 minutes, watching the color of the skins closely. You want blackened patches and to be able to see that the skin is starting to come away from the pepper but you dont want it completely burnt. Remove the pepper halves from the oven and enclose in the foil. Set a side for ten minutes so that the peppers cool and the skin continues to separate. Peel skin off from the pepper and slice.

  • 1 plantain, sliced 
  • 1t chipotle chili powder
  • pinch of salt and pepper
  • 1T sunflower oil
  • marinaded tofu (see above) 
  • 1 avocado mashed (or guacamole)
  • roasted poblano (see above)
  • 2c romaine
  • slices of onion, tomatoes
  • 3 whole wheat wraps


    Heat oil in a pan. Sprinkle plantain slices with chili powder, salt and pepper and saute until browned on both sides. Remove plantain slices from heat and set aside but keep the pan on.

    Add marinaded tofu, and remaining marinade to the pan and also saute until browned. Remove from heat.


    Divide remaining ingredients in 1/3 and arrange wraps with mashed avocado (or guac), roasted peppers, greens, onion, tomato, tofu and plantain slices, and wrap up


    Serve with salsa.

    So I'm now on day 3 of short hair, maybe it's weird but I've gotta say I feel liberated and pretty Good riddance security blanket haha

    Aaannnnd I'm on a Weezer streak, I know it doesn't really go with the title of the post but hey "El Scorcho", it's has a little latin flair right? No? Well when you have your own blog you can post what ever music you like, but until then...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...