Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Things That Sound Scary but Aren't: Quinoa Tabouli

Or even complicated for that matter (seriously, I made this for my lunch this morning and I'm pretty sure I barely had to check on it as I scrambled around the apartment to get ready for the day)


Alas, I don't know about you but a lot of the closest people to me are also the pickiest eaters I know, and usually won't eat anything that "sounds weird".... (which is unfortunate because to them most of the things I cook "sound weird"... grrr) But fret not, I'm here to try and un-scary some really good food.



Tabouli (tab-oo-l-ie) is a Levantine salad which usually consist of bulgur, tomatoes, green onions, parsley and/or mint, olive oil and lemon juice. Tabbūle literally means "a little spicy"(which is perfect for those of you looking for a little zest and not a punch in the face haha).


And as you all know quinoa (keen-wah) is just flat out amazing and a great source of non-animal protein. And since I'm supposed to be training harder for this urbanathlon a little extra protein is never hurt. Also it's cheap and a cinch to prepare. As long as you have a ratio of 1 part quinoa to 4 parts water/broth. for example: 1c dry quinoa to 4c water/broth, simmer for 20 minutes and hooray you're done!

So know that you know what it is lets make some!

Quinoa Tabouli: serves 4
  • 1/2c dried quinoa
  • cooking spray
  • 2c water (or veggie broth)
  • 1/4c fresh parsley, chopped
  • 2 roma tomatoes, diced
  • 1 smallish cucumber, sliced into 1/4"x1" strips
  • 1T olive oil
  • 2T fresh lemon juice
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • (optional: 1t garlic powder, 1/4t sumac, also you can use mint but I didn't have any so I left it out)
Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Add dry quinoa and stir constantly for 1 minute (you can skip this step if you want but I really do feel that toasting the quinoa first adds a bit more flavor). Add water to pan and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Simmer for 20 minutes.

When quinoa is fully cooked, give it a little stir to fluff and then mix in remaining ingredients.


You can eat it as is or serve it over torn romaine leaves as a salad, or stuff into a pita with a little smear of hummus and your favorite greens (that's what I did)


Oh the times they are a-changin'. But what else is new :) Just dance your pants off and it'll be fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...