Saturday, June 18, 2011

Spring's Bold Last Call: Balsamic Apple-Strawberry Salad with a Sweet Vidalia Dressing

I love a good surprise, and food is no exception. Like unique flavor combinations and finding a creamy dressing which contains absolutely nooo cream (or cream substitute for that matter)



Recently I discovered the wonders that are sweet vidalia dressing and balsamic vinegar and fruit!

Both are equally amazing in part because they beautifully meld sweet with tart without being too heavy in either department. Also they are both really easy to make at home and would cost you next to nothing to make.

I came across both on separate occasions. One one morning when I was playing around practicing cutting up fruits and veggies and the other a pleasant surprise that came on a veggie wrap I had ordered.

With no idea on what I would have for lunch today, I noticed I had a surplus of apples, strawberries, greens (thanks to my CSA box #2) and sweet vidalia onions. So it got me wondering if these two tangy sweet flavor combos would play nice together...

Oh my god do they ever!!!
Three cheers for taking chances in the kitchen!!
Whip some up and enjoy a lovely last chance taste of spring :)

Sweet Vidalia Dressing: (makes 16 - 2T servings or 8 - 1/4c servings)
  • 1 large vidalia onion (or 2 small)
  • 1/2c water
  • 6T white vinegar
  • 6T agave
  • 1/4c oil (I used sunflower oil)
  • 1 1/2t dry mustard
  • 1/2t garlic
  • 1/4t celery salt
  • salt and pepper to taste
Cut off the tops and roots of the onion(s). Poke several hole in them with a knive and place in a microwave safe dish with the water and microwave 3-4 minutes or until soft. Set aside and allow to cool. Remove skin and place into a blender with the remaining ingredients and puree until everything is smooth. Store in and air tight container in the fridge.

Balsamic Apple-Strawberry Salad: (serves 2)
  • 1 apple, chopped (I used a Fuji to complement the sweetness as well as play off the tartness of the balsamic vinegar)
  • 8-10 strawberries, chopped
  • a few slices of sweet onions, chopped roughly
  • 1t cinnamon
  • 1T balsamic vinegar
  • a pinch of sea salt
  • 4c crisp lettuce greens
  • 1/4c - 1/2c sweet vidalia dressing, plus a little extra (see above)
 Combine apple, strawberry and onion pieces in a bowl with cinnamon salt and balsamic vinegar and set aside to marinade (at least 5 minutes).


Toss together all remaining ingredients in a large bowl and divide between two bowls, top with apple mixture and reserved dressing.


Today I thought I'd share with you an oldie but goodie.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...