Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Blueberry Scones... with a Fancy-Pants Twist

I love a good scone, especially with a nice hot cup of coffee or tea.


I am fairly picky about them though. I'm not a fan of those giant sugary diabetic-coma inducing monstrosities from the coffee shops around here (chains and local joints alike). Sugar aside, they're usually loaded with butter and eggs... which make my tummy feel like death.

I do find that my local co-op makes some pretty killer scones (especially the savory ones), but it adds up...

So this morning (partly because the heat went out and partly because of the snow) I got the baking itch and a longing for a something warm in my tummy. These scones are the perfect cure to the snowy MN blues. So comforting, and soft and lightly sweet. And not half bad for you either :)



Meyer Lemon-Lavender Blueberry and Chia Seed Scones: (makes 14-16 small scones or 7-8 large ones)
  • 2c white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2t salt
  • 4t baking powder
  • 1T dried lavender
  • (optional: I added a pinch or two of thyme) 
  • 1/4c agave
  • 1c vegan yogurt (I used Amande plain)
  • 1/2c soymilk + the zest and juice of 1 meyer lemon (you could replace with a regular lemon if needed)+ 2T flax
  • 1/4c hot water
  • 1/2 - 1c blueberries
  • a little extra soymilk (for brushin')
  • 1 - 2T chia seeds (for sprinklin')


Pre-heat oven to 400.

In a bowl mix together flour, salt, baking powder and lavender (also thyme if using).

In a separate bowl combine agave, yogurt, and soymilk mixture. Incorporate wet and dry mixtures together. If batter is dry, add hot water... a little at a time until it's workable. Fold in blueberries (I also folded in a few sprinkles of chia seeds because I wanted to get a little crunch, optional).


Drop in large spoonfuls on to baking stone (or lightly greased baking sheet). Brush with soy milk and sprinkle with chia seeds. Bake 10-15 minutes or until beautiful and golden (larger scones may take a tad longer, like 5 minutes, but as they say: good things come to those who wait)


Also these guys are incredible, straight out of the oven... and with a little Earth Balance melted on top... ohmygod... it was like heaven! I think I'm in love!

I know it's cold and snowy outside but I'm throwin' some warm sunny vibes your way to go with all your freshly baked loveliness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...