Saturday, February 4, 2012

That Sh*t is Fancy: Sesame Djion Crusted Squash Steaks with Sauteed Greens and Roasted Beets

 
I am a cook, but sometimes I feel my artistic side poking through. I love taking photos of my dishes (I know some are not so great) but a pretty photo is half the battle, sometimes you just have to make pretty food.

A girl I work with introduced me to this awesome cook book from the editors of Whole Living Magazine called Power Foods. Not only that but she was sweet enough to let me borrow it. The book has so many amazing recipes with so many stunning photos (each recipe has a corresponding photo!!), not only that but a description of many fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, proteins, herbs, spices... seriously it's a wonderful book.


During a slow period at work, my good friend Sam and I oogled and drooled over each page. We can across one recipe in particular that was plated so beautifully. Unfortunately, it was a pork tenderloin recipe. But Sam came up with the brilliant idea of using roasted butternut squash in place of the pork. That woman is brilliant I tell you!

So I tested it out this morning and seriously couldn't be more thrilled. And did I mention the colors??


So here is my take on the Pork Tenderloin with Sauteed Beet Greens and Roasted Beets from the Power Foods cookbook. Or as I like to call it: Anything You Can Make I Can Make Vegan: Fancy-pants Edition.

Sesame Djion Crusted Squash Steaks with Sauteed Greens and Roasted Beets: (serves 4)
  • 3lbs of beets, washed and scrubbed
  • 1lb of greens for sauteing, washed and chopped (you can use the beet greens if you'd like, but since my co-op only sells them with no greens attached I improvised with chard)
  • 2 butternut squash necks, peeled and cut into 12-ish 1/2"-3/4" thick slices
  • 2T tahini
  • 2T + 2t dijon mustard
  • 1/4c sesame seeds
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1/4c extra virgin olive oil, divied
  • 2t + 1T red wine vinegar
  • 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
  • 2T toasted pine nuts (I omitted because I didn't have any)

Preheat your oven to 400. Wrap beets in foil, place on a baking sheet and bake until easily pierced with a fork (35 - 45 minutes). Remove from oven and allow to cool. When manageable to touch rub off skins with paper towels. Reserve half of the beets and the halve and slice the others.

In a small dish mix together tahini and 2T of the dijon. On a small plate spread out sesame seeds and season lightly with salt and pepper. Spread tahini mixture thinly and evenly around the edges of each of the squash medallions. Roll edges in sesame seeds. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Carefully as to not wash off the crust, pour about a 1/2" of water into the bottom (optional: you can drizzle the medallions with olive oil if you wish, I didn't but it's up to you). Place sheet in the oven and bake squash for about 25-35 minutes.

While the squash is baking, process the remaining beet with 1T olive oil until smooth and run mixture through a sieve lined with cheesecloth into a bowl. You should have at least 1T+1t worth of bright red liquid in your bowl. To that whisk in 2T olive oil, remaining mustard and 2t vinegar.

Heat whats left of the oil in a large skillet and saute smashed garlic for a minute or two, until fragrant. Add greens and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook greens until wilted, add remaining vinegar and beet slices, toss to coat. Remove garlic from pan and pan from heat. (Add pine nuts at this point)

Evenly drizzle beet vinaigrette onto 4 plates and top with evenly divided greens and squash .

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...