Friday, February 3, 2012

So Very Fawned Of Breakfast: Punkin' Fu Scramble

Pumpkin and tofu together is music to my tummy!


A good friend introduced me to the Brichwood Cafe in Minneapolis a few months back and while drooling over their selections of organic and local fare I saw a pumpkin tofu scramble on there breakfast menu and although I never got the chance to try it (since it was a breakfast item and we were there for lunch) it's been on my mind for months... no really, months

3 Seed Spread Sandwich from Birchwood.
No lie, the flavors were outstanding!



I don't think I need to explain just how much I love pumpkin, tofu or breakfast. And the combination of those three things seem like... woah! So after a little research, combining recipes (from AsrtoNOMZ, 500 Vegan Recipes) and adding my own touch of course. I have come up with my own take on a Pumpkin Tofu Scramble :)

Not to mention help from these guys... thanks buds

Punkin' Fu Scramble: (serves 4 - 8, recipe adapted from AstroNOMZ and the book 500 Vegan Recipes)

The Spice Mix:
  • 1t sage
  • 1t thyme
  • 1/4t nutmeg
  • 1/4t allspice
  • 1/2t cinnamon
  • 1/2t oregano
  • 1/2t garlic
  • 1/2t smoked paprika
  • 1t salt (I used saffron salt, just cause)
  • 1/4c nutritional yeast
  • Optional: a touch of tumeric (for good measure)
  • pepper to taste


The Rest:

  • 1T oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 package extra firm tofu, drained, pressed and crumbled
  • 1 big handful of chard (or any other green that works well being sauteed. Kale, spinach, collards... use what you got)
  • 1/2c beans
  • 1 can pumpkin puree (NOT Pumpkin Pie Mix!!)

Heat oil in a cast iron skillet (or regular skillet) over medium-low to medium heat add onions and saute until starting to darken in color (brown) and soften, 8 - 10 minutes, add tofu crumbles and cook an additional 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.



Mix spice mixture in thoroughly. then add greens and beans and cook until greens wilt. Add puree and cook 2 minutes longer or until heated through.






Check out this song by William Elliot Whitmore, I love that haunting bayou southern kind of sound. And of course enjoy your breakfast :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...