Sunday, April 29, 2012

Waste Not: Sunday's Are My Favorite

I hate to waste anything... especially fresh food.



I tend to do my main grocery shopping trip on either Mondays or Tuesdays (I make little stops through out the week to grab one or two things here and there), so to make sure that I have room in my fridge and to make sure I use up what I already have I started the practice of every Sunday I make hashes (or scrambles if I have tofu) for breakfast and stir-frys for lunch or dinner.

The beauty of either of these dishes is that you don't need a set recipe for either, just lots of veggies cut up, a little oil in a pan and possible a sauce, spice mix or dressing of sorts. For instance, when I make hashes in the morning I tend to lean towards a lemony-dijon and balsamic sort of dressing (example take 1T dijon, 1T balsamic and the juice of one lemon with a little salt and pepper maybe a touch of garlic and add to your hash as the end). For stir-frys, I like to use a miso and soy based sauce (like the one I used here or here). And here is a good chart of different cook times for veggies!

This is what I made this morning:


1 sweet potato, one parsnip, a small handful of green beans, and one bunch of ramps sauteed over medium heat in 1T of coconut oil. Potato and parsnip for 10-15 min, added beans 2-3 minutes longer, added chopped up ramps another minute or two. Salt and Pepper. Dalloped some stone ground mustard, drizzled balsamic and poured on a lemon juice with a splash of water to help mix everything together and served over farro with parsley and a sliced up pear. Simple, and made enough to feed two (but I eat a lot hahaha)

Another idea, especially if you have a lot of fruit to use up is to make smoothies! I make these nearly every morning but this morning I was particularly pleased with the results!

I call this one the:


Girl In Blue(berry): (serves 2)
  • 1 banana
  • 2c blueberries
  • 14 strawberries
  • Handful of sweet basil
  • 1 meyer lemon's juice
  • 1 - 2c water or almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
Combine in blender and blend.


And while this serves 2 I also drank the whole thing myself hahaha, now I must bid you adieu... for I have quite the food baby... :)


What an evil thing... that girl in blue...

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...