Saturday, May 7, 2011

My Cat-urdays Are Anything but Lazy These Days

Today is my adventure day.


It's true most Saturdays I spent my time indoors bored outta my flippin' gourd... but not as of late. The big guy and I have been working are proverbial asses off. It's been big crazy combination of exciting and stressful, but all in all we agreed it's been fun. And with as busy as we've been I've found that in my spare time the last thing I want to do is sit around. It just feels like a waste.

However his Cat-urdays are all laze and no play. Just sleep.

Last night I StumbledUpon a list from the site Whole 9 called 174,203 Things You Can Do Instead of Watching TV, it was inspiring! And even though the list doesn't go all the way to 174,203 it gives some pretty rockin' ideas for what you can do in your spare time.

Today was finally a day with no plans, and I was bound and determined to get out there and enjoy the day. Which has so far been stellar! I woke up ate a big bowl of fresh fruit.


Walked out the door, biked to the gym, had a great work out. Biked to the grocery store bought some goodies, biked to the FIRST DAY OF THE SPRING FARMERS MARKET!! Bought some more goodies. Talked to some sweet folks (like I said, MN farmers are the coolest people, seriously!).

SUPER YUMMY and usually I'm not a fan of this stuff.
The woman that makes it was an absolute sweetheart as were
the two girls with her :)

This is my new friend. He is a little bitty chive plant and he
WILL MAKE IT THROUGH THE SUMMER with god as
my witness, I will keep him alive and chive-y!

Pretty much the best bread EVER! Also Jack is a very cool guy.
He's kept his sourdough starter going for 9 YEARS!
I highly recommend this bread! Plus $4 for a giant loaf is not
a bad deal :)
Biked to work, got caught up. Came home made yummy lunch before the hubby and I were on our way again. And that was all before noon :)

Now I know I haven't had much time to blog this last week, but I finally had the chance to cook with eggplant which is something totally new to me. And pretty sure it's my new favorite veggie! Oh my god, here's my new favorite recipe to go along with it. I hope you guys dig it as much as I do! Not to mention, this sauce is soooo frickin good, I doubled the recipe and have been using it in fried rice and stir-fry, but those recipes are for another day :)




Miso-Garlic Broiled Eggplant (adapted from Cooking Light, serves 4)

  • 1/4c sweet rice wine vinegar (It actually called from Mirin but I didn't have any on hand)
  • 3T sweet yellow miso (soybean paste)
  • 2t ginger
  • 1t peanut oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper (or more to taste :) )
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 large eggplant, sliced 1/2" thick
  • 1T sesame seeds
  • 1/4c thinly sliced green onions (to garnish) 
Set oven to broil. Mix together rice wine vinegar, miso, ginger, oil, red pepper, and garlic. Arrange eggplant slices on a broiler pan covered with a layer of tin foil (to prevent sticking and a mess altogether), cover with sauce (I rubbed it onto both sides). Sprinkle with sesame seeds and broil on the top rack 8 minutes or until browned. Remove from oven and be amazed!




Today I love my little corner of  Minnesota so this song seems appropriate :)




No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...