Tuesday, May 3, 2011

And I'm Feeling Good: Baked Falafel

 
I'm in a good mood this morning, and when I'm in a good mood you can find me in the kitchen (obvs, although even when I'm in a bad mood I'm probably still in the kitchen haha). I had a serious craving for falafel this morning. I have been experimenting with different recipes and I think I've found me favorite one so far

Baked Falafel: (makes 21-24 small balls adapted from Chow Vegan)

  • 1 15oz can garbanzo beans
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 2t garlic powder
  • 3T fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1T fresh cilantro, chopped
  • 2T lemon juice
  • 1t lemon zest
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1t nutritional yeast
  • 1t coriander
  • 1t cumin
  • 1t red pepper flakes
  • 2T vital wheat gluten
  • 1t baking powder
  • Salt and pepper to taste


Preheat oven to 400. Darin beans, rinse and pour into a medium sized bowl, mash beans with a fork. Mix in remaining ingredients (with your hands works best) until well combined.

Form mixture into tablespoon sized balls, flatten slightly and arrange on a stone baking sheet or lightly oiled regular baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Let cool completely before removing from the baking sheet, otherwise falafel balls could fall apart.

Serve in a pita or over a salad with spinach, tomato, and cucumber. Dress it with hummus or a yogurt sauce make from 1 pint plain soy or coconut yogurt, 2 cloves chopped garlic, 1/2 cucumber finely chopped, 1T dill, 1T tahini, 2T fresh squeezed lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. drizzle over falafel.


All the yummy-ness of falafel with out the grease... and I'm feeling good...

1 comment:

  1. ohhhmygoodness. BAD bad idea to be reading this when hungry. gaahhh :(

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...