Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Anything You Can Make, I Can Make Vegan: Chipotle-Rubbed Tofu

 
I love perusing through recipes of all kinds. Meat, no-meat, it doesn't matter to me. I can literally spend hours drooling and day dreaming over dish after dish. I'm also not afraid to cook meat. Even though I don't eat it it doesn't bother me, plus I know that my hubby would be a sad panda if I didn't.



Lately I've felt kind of bad because when I've been cooking I've been making stuff for myself and not really for Mike. So while oogling the latest issue of Cooking Light I came across a recipe called "Chipotle-Rubbed Flank Steak". Steak with a creamy cheese sauce? I love a challenge :)

I took a trip to the food co-op today and bought some fun stuff
I apologize for the kissy myspace-face :/ haha
I am happy to say that this will become one of my go to dinners, truly AH-MAZ-ING! And the sauce was so good Mike didn't even notice that it was non-dairy.

Mike's meal, with flank steak.
First you'll need to make a cashew cream. soak 1c of raw cashews in enough water to cover for 2 hours - overnight, drain and blend with 2c-4c water, depending on how thick you want it

Chipotle-Rubbed Tofu: (serves 4, recipe adapted from Cooking Light)
  • 1 block of extra firm tofu, sliced into 1/4" slices and frozen
  • 1t soy sauce
  • 1t liquid smoke
  • 1t paprika
  • 1t ground chipotle pepper
  • 1t olive oil
  • 2T shallots, minced
  • 2t garlic powder
  • 1t flour
  • 2/3c cashew cream
  • salt to taste
  • 1/4c Daiya Pepper Jack
  • 1t Earth Balance
  • 2t parsley
Thaw tofu (It will have a tougher texture), preheat broiler.

Rub tofu slices with soy sauce, liquid smoke, paprika, and chipotle. Broil for 5-8 minutes. While tofu is broiling heat oil over medium heat and saute shallots for 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients and heat until reduced by half.

Dived tofu evenly between four plates, spoon sauce over tofu.


I served with couscous and sauteed spinach with sliced almonds (saute spinach in 1t oil until it wilts remove from heat and sprinkle with almonds)


Ahh nothing like good food and good music

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...