Monday, May 23, 2011

Things That Make His Tummy Happy: Breakfast Man-cakes

Today is a great day for new things. You know... since the world didn't end and all :)


The first of which is to... tape myself while cooking...
Haha oh god, for me public speaking is not really a problem for me. What is a problem is having to hear my voice played back (long story short I'm convinced I sound like a 12 year old boy). But I'm also a firm believer of getting out of your comfort zone every now and then. (I'm also going to pre-warn you that my battery dies 3/4ths of the way through me cooking so part is video and the other is plain ol' typed. Also I made two servings of the vegan man-cakes in the video but the recipe I'm posting would serve 8)

Second, I love my husband, more than anything. And one of the easiest way for me to show him how much I love him is through my cooking. I may eat mostly vegan but I still respect the fact that Mike doesn't want to so I still make him steak and chicken and eggs, ect. And I still try my hardest to make it to the best of my ability. Recently I posted a picture of what I refer to a "Man-cakes" (one of Mike's favorite breakfasts for a busy week) on and I have had soooo many requests for the recipe. So I'm going to start a segment on this blog called "Things That Make His Tummy Happy" dedicated to all things I loving make for the man of the house (apartment). These things probably won't be vegan haha, just sayin'.





(Vegan) Breakfast Man-Cakes: (makes 8)
  • 8 slices of bread (I use Food For Life: Ezekiel Bread)
  • 1 block of tofu, pressed and drained
  • 1/2t red pepper flakes
  • 2T garlic powder
  • 2T onion powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2T nutritional yeast
  • 1T turmeric
  • 1c bell peppers, chopped
  • chives (garnish, optional)
  • Daiya Pepper Jack Shreds (optional, but they are amazing haha)
Preheat oven to 400.

Cut bread slices 1" into each corner, set aside.

Crumble tofu and mix together with remaining ingredients until well combined.

Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add tofu mixture and saute 3-5 minutes. Work bread slices into muffin tin, pressing against the sides and forming a "cup", place in the oven for 5 minutes to pre-toast the bread.

After removing from the oven, place tofu mixture inside and top with chives and shreds if desired. Place tins back into the oven and bake 20 minutes. Remove, cool and eat.


I'm obviously much more at home behind the camera, instead of in front of it haha...




(Just a heads up the tofu man-cakes will be crumbly, that's why the daiya helps hold things together. Keeps for 1 week in the fridge, to reheat, microwave one minute or wrap in foil and bake 400 for 10 minutes)


Mike's Breakfast Man-Cakes: (makes 8)
  • 8 slices of bread
  • 8 eggs lightly beaten (I like the end result if they aren't completely mixed together)
  • 8 slices of bacon (or ham, or turkey, you get the idea)
  • 1/2t red pepper flakes
  • 2T garlic powder
  • 2T onion powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • chives (garnish, optional)
  • 1/4 - 1/2c cheese (any kind, optional)
Preheat oven to 400.

Cut bread slices 1" into each corner, set aside.

lightly beat the eggs and incorporate spices. set aside.


Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add bacon (or ham or whatever your little heart desires), and lightly cook (maybe 1-2 minutes), don't fully cook because it'll get too tough in the end), remove from heat and set aside.

Work bread slices into muffin tin, pressing against the sides and forming a "cup", place in the oven for 5 minutes to pre-toast the bread.


After removing from the oven, place one strip of bacon in each "cup" and divide egg mixture between all eight bread "cups". Sprinkle with chives and cheese (optional). Place tins back into the oven and bake 20 minutes. Remove, cool and eat.




(Keeps for 1 week in the fridge, to reheat, microwave one minute or wrap in foil and bake 400 for 10 minutes)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...