Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Getting Back on Track (Pun Intended) and Cashew Tofu

Just got done running my little heart out, at 4am. To be honest with how crazy busy I've been not only has my cooking kind of been put on the back burner (also pun intended), but my Urbanathlon training hasn't been going as steadily as I would have hoped either.


That's why I decided for the next few posts I'll be taking my favorite all time go-to recipes, and revamping them! These are recipes that either came from or were inspired by recipes in magazines like Men's/Women's Health, and Cooking Light. The also usually contained meat, so I'm going to remake them meatless :)


First off this recipe is from Cooking Light. It's one of Mike's and my favorites (I still make his with chicken though).

Cashew Tofu Stir-fry : (serves 4, adapted from Cooking Light)
  • 2 3/4t cornstarch
  • 1T soy sauce
  • 1 package extra firm tofu, cut into 1" cubes
  • 1t  cornstarch
  • 1T soy sauce
  • 2t dry sherry
  • 1t rice wine vinegar
  • 3/4t sugar
  • 1/2t hot sauce
  • 1T oil (peanut or toasted sesame oil work best for stir-fries)
  • 4oz (half a package) sliced mushrooms
  • 1 teaspoon minced garlic
  • 1/2c shredded carrots
  • 2c broccoli
  • 1 large bell pepper, cut into strips
  • 1/2t ginger
  • 1/2t white pepper
  • pinch of red pepper
  • 1/2c roasted cashews
  • 1/4c sliced green onions
Mix together 2 3/4t cornstarch with 1T soy sauce and toss with cubed tofu. Set aside.

Mix together 1t cornstarch and 1T soy sauce with sherry, rice wine vinegar, sugar and hot sauce, also set aside.

Heat oil in a large skillet over med/high heat. Add marinated tofu and mushrooms and garlic, saute 2 or 3 minutes. Next add carrots broccoli and bell pepper saute an additional 3 minutes. Add spices and combine well. Lastly add the sauce and heat for about 1 minute or  until it starts to get "thick" (it won't get very thick so don't be worried if it still seems runny).

Remove mixture from heat, and top with roasted cashews and sliced green onions.


Serve over rice if you want, otherwise it's really good on it's own too :)


P.s. this is my absolute new favorite running song! (I know it's not a new song, but oh well)
Stay motivated friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...