Monday, April 18, 2011

I Can Be Sweet Sometimes: Sweet Spiced Chai Hash

As you all have gotten to know, I am a fan of mixing things up. I've made a savory oatmeal, and a spicy cookie, among other things. This particular morning I turned my curiosities to hash browns. I can't speak for any of you but when I think of a good breakfast hash, I think potatoes, peppers, onions and the like. But then I asked myself, why couldn't it be sweet?



Hash browns have become a Friday morning ritual for us. It's like a celebration of the final day of the work week. This time when I went to make my hash I realized I only had sweet potatoes and hardly any veggies. So I improvised. Sadly my first attempt failed... it was gross. But I feel like I have a decent grasp of what spices do and don't work. I added too much savory to the sweet, it tasted like a jumble. Sunday just seemed like a good day to try again.

My thought process went like this:
So I have sweet potatoes > sweet potatoes are sweet > fruit is sweet > I have apples > you can saute apples > apples go good with onions > raisins are good with both apples and onions > raisins can also be sauteed > cinnamon would making this AMAZING > Chai tea has cinnamon > cooking with tea is also AMAZING!!

Success!!!

P.S. Also I like loooove to cook with tea in place of water. It like a boost of flavor, kind of like using broth. It's something that I haven't done for awhile, but I have started up again as of late. I highly recommend trying it, just remember to steep your tea at least twice as long before using it to cook to get a more intense flavor.

I'm super excited about this recipe because I didn't base it off anything I have previously read/seen, just my own common cooking know how. The first batch was a mess, so I simplified and it turned out beautifully!

It's a great breakfast, filling and sweet. Not to mention the aroma is enchanting! Dear other people who also live on my apartment floor, you're welcome :) haha
 


Sweet Spiced Chai Hash (serves 2 - 4)
  • 1c brewed chai tea (I used Stash Double Spice Chai Tea and steep for 6 minutes) 
  • 1 sweet potato, cut into small cubes (you can peel it but I prefer to leave the skin on)
  • 2T fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 1T honey mustard
  • 1T balsamic vinegar
  • 1t cinnamon
  • 1/2t cardamom
  • 1/4t cloves
  • 1/8t ginger
  • 1T Earth Balance (or olive oil)
  • 1/2 of a small onion, diced
  • 1 apple, cut into small cubes
  • 1/4c dried fruit (I used a mix of raisins and cranberries)
  • salt and pepper to taste

Place sweet potato cubes in a microwave safe bowl. Pour chai tea over potatoes and microwave for 3 minutes, drain but reserve 1/2c of the remaining tea.

In a small bowl whisk together orange juice, mustard, balsamic vinegar, cinnamon, cardamom, gloves and ginger, set aside

Heat earth balance or oil in heavy skillet over medium heat add potatoes and onions and saute for 5 - 6 minutes. Every couple of minutes pour some of the tea into the skillet, this helps steam the potatoes and onions.

Add apples, dried fruit and sauce mixture to the skillet and saute 3 minutes longer. Salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat. (top with chopped pecans if desired)


Go get'em tiger!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...