Friday, March 25, 2011

Sweet memories: Kheer (Indian Rice Pudding)


Even though I'm Colombian born, I'm Minnesota raised and my experience with ethnic food as a child was almost non-existent. Basically limited to tacos and spaghetti... But I have one faint memory back when I was in maybe preschool, of a day that they tried to introduce us to foods from other cultures. I honestly can't recall the majority of what we tried that day, but there was this one dish... it was simple, rice with milk raisins and cinnamon. I remember going home that day and demanding my mom making rice because I wanted the rest of my family to try it!


It's been love at first bite since that day. But as in love with it as I was(am) I couldn't recall what it was called or what country it supposedly came from...

The other day during my recipe search for this week, I came across a recipe called Kheer, which is a sweet Indian rice pudding (great for left over rice). I couldn't blieve my eyes! The ingredients were almost identical just a hair more sophisticated!

This makes a great breakfast!

By the way my inner child is very pleased :)

Kheer: (serves 4)
  • 2c lite coconut milk
  • 2c almond milk (or other non dairy milk)
  • 3T raw cane sugar (I skipped this because I used sweetened almond milk)
  • 2c cooked basmati rice
  • 1/4c raw almonds, chopped
  • 1/4c raw pistachios, chopped
  • 1/2c raisins
  • 1T Earth Balance (or oil)
  • 1t cardamom
  • 1t cinnamon
Pour coconut milk, almond milk, and sugar (optional) into a sauce pot, bring to a boil and reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in spices and simmer 5 to 10 minutes longer.


While the rice is simmering, heat Earth Balance in a separate pan and toast almonds, pistachios and raisins until the nuts are fragrant and the raisins plump.

Top kheer with toasted nuts and fruit.

1 comment:

  1. This looks amazing! I'm gonna have to try this.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...