Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I'm Not One For Baking, But I Do Make A Mean-Ass Banana Bread


Don't get me wrong, it's not that I can't bake. I just prefer to cook. In fact once a year, from October to December, I go baking mad. Cookies, candies, cakes you name it... by the time January 1st rolls around you couldn't pay me to bake one more thing.
My exception being banana bread (in keeping with this weeks theme of nostalgic American recipes). Banana bread instantly reminds me of my Grandma (as most baking dose) but this quick bread is different, my family usually doesn't bake unless its for a special event, banana bread was one of those things my Grandma or mom would make 'just because'. Kind of like a warm homemade I love you.


It also holds special meaning to me since it was the first actual thing I learned how to make (boiling noodles does not count). My recipe has changed (reluctantly) over last decade and hardly resembles my Grandma's anymore. Her's was a very basic, and very consistent but always amazing. I like to play around too much for that :)


Mean-Ass Banana Bread: (makes 1 loaf)
  • 3 ripe bananas
  • 2T peanut butter
  • 1/2c raw cane sugar
  • 1/2c applesauce (or apple butter)
  • 2c whole wheat flour
  • 1t baking powder
  • 1t baking soda
  • 1t cinnamon
  • 1/4t cloves
  • 1/4t allspice
  • 1/8t nutmeg
  • pinch of sea salt
Preheat the oven to 375. Mash the bananas. Combine all the wet ingredients into a large bowl (bananas through applesauce).

In a separate bowl combine and mix all of the dry ingredients (flour through salt). Add dry mixture to wet stirring until just mixed.

Place batter into lightly oiled loaf pan and bake 30-45 minutes. test with a tooth pick or knife, if it comes out clean it's done! Let it cool completely before slicing it, otherwise it'll be really crumbly. Unless of course that doesn't bother you than dig in!


P.s. today I feel a mixture of happy/mushy and this song has been stuck in my head. It reminds me of when Mike and I first moved in together but that's another story :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...