Tuesday, March 1, 2011

A Hummus of a Different Kind: Kidney Bean Hummus


So this morning I was out of hummus, and I had a half hour to make lunch for me and the husband. Tough, me being me, instead of running to the grocery store (which is exactly one mile away) I decided I would just make my own. Oh also, I was also out of chickpeas (canned/cooked) but what I did have was a can of kidney beans. Hooray for the internet! Because I came across a recipe from here. I only altered it a tad, but not much.

This recipe is a southwestern take on hummus. It turned out great! I've already had 3 servings to myself. Though next time I think I wish add more cayenne and lime juice.


Kidney Bean Hummus (10 servings)
  • 1 garlic clove; peeled
  • 2T dried cliantro (1/4c fresh)
  • lemon juice squeezed from 1/2 of a lemon
  • lime juice squeezed from 1/2 of a lime
  • 1T tahini
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1T ground cumin
  • 1t chili powder
  • 1 pinch cayenne
  •  1T olive oil
  • 2T green onions (optional)

Place all ingredients except green onions into a food process and process until smooth. Slice green onions and sprinkle on to of hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...