Thursday, March 24, 2011

Seitan Tikka Masala FTW

 
I looooove masala sauce! It's so creamy and tomato-y and flavorful! Oh lord, I could not be happier about the way this dish turned out! Mike had a version of this back on my birthday at Star of India and I'm pretty sure I ate most of it (along with the rest of my dish and... all of the rice... ha, did I mention Indian food is my weakness?)


Anyways, I had been please with all the Indian dishes I had made thus far but none of them even came close to this! The best part was how easily it came together! It couldn't have been a better night Mike and I rocked out to some Shivaree as I cooked... ahhh so fun :)

(P.S. DO NOT skip the marinade, it adds sooo much to this dish)

Seitan Tikka Masala: (serves 4)
Marinade:
  • 3/4c plain soy or coconut yogurt
  • 1T  fresh minced ginger
  • 2-4 cloves of fresh minced garlic
  • 1T lemon juice
  • 2t cumin
  • 2t cinnamon
  • 1t coriander
  • 1t paprika
  • 1/2t turmeric
  • 1 1/2t cayenne
  • 1t black pepper
  • 1t salt
  • 12-18 oz seitan, cubed
 Masala Sauce:
  • 3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 jalapeno pepper, diced (for less heat remove the seeds)
  • 1/2c onion, diced
  • 2t cumin
  • 2t paprika
  • 1t salt
  • 1T Earth Balance, or oil
  • 1 8oz can tomato sauce
  • 3/4c lite coconut milk
  • 1/4c fresh cilantro, chopped 
    Marinade: Combine all ingredients expect for seitan, together in a bowl. Pour into ziplock bag and add the seitan. Allow mixture to marinade in the fridge for at least 1 hour.


    Take a baking sheet and cover it with a sheet of aluminum foil (you can skip the foil if you want but it helps create less of a mess). Remove seitan mixture from the fridge and empty contents onto foil in a single layer. Bake 425 for 20 minutes, flipping once halfway through.


    Masala Sauce:
    While the seitan is in the oven, chop up your garlic, jalapeno, onion and cilantro and toss in bowl with your spices. Heat Earth Balance (or oil) in a skillet over medium heat. Empty contents of prep bowl into skillet and saute 2 or 3 minutes.


    Add tomato sauce and coconut milk stir well, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and pour into a blender, puree thoroughly and pour back into skillet. When the seitan is finished, return the sauce to the skillet with the baked seitan and simmer additional 5 minutes. Serve over basmati rice (and/or with naan bread)

    So it may not look like anything special but trust me, it's sooo amazing!
    Also, I made this figuring that I would have left overs for lunch, during the week... yea, that didn't happen... ha

    1 comment:

    1. Looks amazing! I love indian food...im starting world cuisine and latin cuisine this quarter, i will shoot you any awesome recipes i find!

      ReplyDelete

    LinkWithin

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...