Sunday, March 6, 2011

Not As Weird As You Think: Asian Inpired Savory Oatmeal


For me and my siblings oatmeal stirs up fawn memories from childhood, when we spent the night at Grandma's and she would make us a big bowl of oats in the morning. They were so simple, just dry oats water in a pot on the stove, but she made it so perfectly. And of course, she would always let us sneak in some brown sugar :)


I think that's why I had such a hard time wrapping my head around the concept of a savory oatmeal. To me it's always been something sweet. Even though I no longer add sugar to mine, I still load it with fresh and dried fruit.

One the other hand, I like to try "weird" sounding things and switching out sweet for savory really appealed to my adventurous side.

The verdict: It's surprisingly good! I just had to think of the oats as more of a grain, just like rice to get past the weirdness of it.

Asian Stir-fried Oats: (serves 1)
  • 1c cooked steel cut oats (you could use regular oats if you preferred)
  • 2t soy sauce
  • cooking spray
  • 1/2 half carrot, sliced
  • 1/4 broccoli sliced
  • 1/4 green bell pepper
  • 1T green onions sliced
Cook oatmeal according to package, and stir in soy sauce.

Spray cooking spray in to pan and heat over medium high heat. Add carrot, broccoli and bell pepper and saute til soft (anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes). Top oatmeal with sauteed veggies, and top with green onions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...