Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Air Is Filled With The Smell Of Spring! ...And Jambalaya!

Today was a beautiful day! The sunwas out and it was over 50 degrees for the first time in sooo many long months. Absolutely gorgeous! As the day went on and the sun started to loose strength, the air became chilly and I was inspired to whip up something to warm us back up.


Jambalaya is something I've made many times before but not for a long time, so I had to change a couple things. Like swapping beans and more seasoning for the adouillie sausage and shrimp. I don't know that they make a vegan adouillie but even if they did I'm not sure I would've needed it.

Fair warning: Jambalaya is spicy dish but not in a painful way, in a way that warms your whole body :)

Jambalaya: serves 4
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1T olive oil
  • 1c onion, diced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 3/4c celery, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 1T tomato paste
  • 1 can diced tomato (Cajun Style if available, I couldn't find it myself so I used a can of Muir Glen fire roasted w/ green chilies)
  • 1 can veggie broth
  • 1 can kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 1T Cajun seasoning
  • 1T dried parsley
  • 1t basil
  • 1/4t cayenne
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 3c cooked brown rice
Set the oven to broil. Remove the stem of the red bell pepper. Slice pepper in half and lay cut side down on a sheet of aluminum foil on a broiling pan. Place pan on the top rack and broil pepper 10-12 minutes until skins are blackened. Keep close eye on them!

Remove peppers from oven and wrap foil around them, let cool 10 - 15 minutes. Open foil and peel off and discard the skins. Slice and dice roasted peppers.

Heat oil in a large pot and add onion, garlic, celery, and green bell pepper. Saute 5 minutes. Add roasted red bell pepper and remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Don't forget to remove and discard the bay leaf before eating!

Eating outside is one of the many reasons I love spring

As always I have music blaring when I cook. I'm on a big Ben Folds and Regina Spektor kick right now. So dance your pants off and get cooking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...