Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Give Your Oatmeal A Buzz: Chai Spiced Oats

A caffeine buzz that is!


I've been lovin' chai tea for the last couple weeks. A new job has reawakened my love for the morning boost that comes with black tea. And I am a flavor junkie, I love heavily spiced things like Indian food, Latin American food, and Thai food, so that's why chai tea is perfect for me, strong black tea flavors blended with my favorite spices. You might remember me using chai in my Sweet Spiced Chai Hash. Well surprise you can also use it to cook oatmeal!


My new best buddy, I'm fairly convinced he should be
named, but then I'm also convinced I would seem crazy... ha


This is an extremely quick breakfast especially if the tea you use it still very hot, and it's also nice for morning that you need to run around and get ready for work because you can let it still during a couple steps and come back to it in a few minutes Welcome to your new addition, caffeinated oats :)

Chai Spiced Oats: (serves 1)
  • 1/2c dry regular oats (NOT quick cooking)
  • 3/4c fresh brewed chai tea (don't forget to let it steep a little longer than normal)
  • 3T vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2t orange zest
  • 1T fresh squeezed orange juice
  • 2T raisins
  • 1/2t cinnamon
  • 1 pinch of cardamom
  • 1 pinch of ginger
  • chopped apple and strawberries to top
Combine oats and hot tea in a microwave safe bowl, and set aside for at least 1-2 minutes until some of the liquid absorbs (I like to let mine sit for 5 minutes).

Add almond milk, orange zest, and juice and microwave 30 seconds - 2 minutes to finish cooking the oats.

Stir in raisins and spices, allow to sit for a minute or two (this will plump up the raisins as well).

Top with apples and strawberries.


Today is a day-dreamy kinda day. Keepin' those heads in the clouds and dreaming big :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...