Sunday, February 27, 2011

Getting in Touch with My Roots... Sorta: Baked Plantains

Some of you know and some of you may not, but I am originally from Bogota, Colombia. Now, before you go asking me if I can speak Spanish and all that (common question, and the answer is no I cannot) was adopted and thus didn't grow up there.


Fun Fact: Coffee beans are one of Colombia's biggest exports and despite it being my nickname I hate coffee.

Being adopted from another country has never been a big deal to me and honestly I forget it all the time. But one thing I wish I grew up with is the food and the culture.

I've heard of fried plantains before, and I've had them (or something like them) once at Fogo de Chao in Minneapolis. But since I'm terrible at frying and didn't want to bother with the mess I baked them. A slightly healthier alternative. Either way they turned out awesome!


Baked Plantains serves 4
  • 4 very ripe plantains (yellow with lots of dark spots, think very ripe banana)
  • cooking spray
Preheat oven to 450. Peel plantains. Slice into diagonal 1/2'' slices. On a baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray arrange pieces in a single layer and bake 10 - 15 minutes turning once in between.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...