Wednesday, February 23, 2011

New Best Friend: Cashew Milk

 
I can't get over how amazing this stuff has been. Today I've been putting it in everything possible. I cooked my oatmeal in it (p.s. there is nothing wrong with breakfast for lunch) and it turned out super creamy. I steamed a sweet potato and smashed some into it, sooo good! I even just straight up drank a glass.



I'm absolutely in love with Cashew Milk! It's the creaminess I thought I couldn't get without cow's milk. And now I can't wait to do more experimenting with it! Bonus, it's super easy to make at home and fairly cheap (always a plus when you're broke like me).


Raw Cashew Milk (makes 4 cups)
  • 1c raw cashews
  • 2c water (for soaking)
  • 4c water (for blending)
  • 1t agave (optional)
  • pinch of sea salt
Soak cashews in a bowl overnight (8 - 12 hours) with two cups of water. (cashews will look swollen the next morning). Drain and rinse cashews thoroughly. Place cashews in a blender with 2 cups of water and blend on high for 30 seconds, add remaining 2 cups of water and blend an additional 30 seconds. Keep in a mason jar in the fridge and use within 2 or 3 days.

The texture may be a little pulpy depending on your blender, but I would highly recommend straining the milk through a fine sieve or cheese cloth.

It can also be frozen, but might be lumpy when defrosted, so be sure stir well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...